Gum Myth Busted

Ah, 2:30 in the afternoon. All of the littles are asleep right now, and while I should be sleeping, or cleaning... I am thinking this little blog here is becoming a guilty pleasure. You know what else is? This weather! I am sitting outside at the patio table, the sun shining contentedly down, just the right amount of warmth. The East half of the sky a menacing blue-black of clouds. The birds are chattering back and forth to one another, and the wind is gently caressing everything in its path. Bliss! Add to that a waterbottle of ice cold water, and a mug of hot chamomile tea, and you must admit that I have the perfect little set up going on right now!

Yesterday while I was rocking Kip to sleep, Beth came running up to me carrying two packs of gum. Empty. They had been full when I began rocking Kip. Apparently Vince had decided he needed minty sweet breath, and consumed them all. And by consumed, I mean chewed and swallowed. He was so happy and excited that he had gotten to eat some gum. I don't usually let him have some because, well, I worry that he would do exactly what he just did. I groaned inwardly and worried about the inevitable tummy ache he would be having later on, but really, there wasn't anything else I could do. Fast forward to bedtime last night, and I encountered a mystery. Everywhere I went, I could smell a minty rotten smell. I couldn't figure out what it was. Sometimes it was there. Most of the time it was there. Sometimes, though, it was not. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. While I cooked dinner I kept thinking it was the trash that needed to be taken out. I asked Keith repeatedly to take it out, but he did it the first time I asked, so it obviously wasn't that. I checked my fridge for rotting food. I couldn't find anything in there, either. And yet the smell persisted. As I was getting Vince ready for bed, however, I figured it out. I had him lay down so I could change his diaper, and the truth was there, assaulting me in the nose. The gum he had chewed had passed through his body. It was mixed with everything else in his diaper. I am happy to report, without a shadow of a doubt, the "gum stays in your stomach for 7 years" myth is absolutely debunked! It disintegrates and passes through like everything else does. Were it not for the smell, I would have had no idea that it had passed already. So there is that. Irrefutable proof that gum does NOT stay in your stomach for 7 years. And also the myth that it can't be dissolved in your stomach.

Last Thursday I got to host book club. Read and Feed is what we call it. Because we read, obviously, but also because we like to do some sort of meal with our meetings. My parents were sweet enough to let me host at their house because honestly, I doubt I would have been able to get my house ready. It was a crazy busy kind of day. But I think it went off splendidly. We read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. It has become one of my top 5 favorite books! It is absolutely amazing! I chose this book because I had read it the month prior and couldn't get it out of my head. I needed to discuss it with someone! We had such a great discussion! And the food! I had ordered some clotted cream from Devonshire, England, and we had a regular afternoon tea. The menu consisted of cucumber sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and some of the strawberry mint jam I had put up the day before. There was sourdough bread to dip in olive oil and vinegar, and some yummy cereal peanut butter things. And the rhubarb crumble! And fairy cakes (aka cupcakes here across the pond), and some amazing cucumber mint lime drink. Can I just tell you, I want to repeat that book club exactly? The discussion and the food were both mind bending. But oh! I almost forgot the point I was trying to make. It was all very hygge. From the moment we began when Adrianne took over making the scones so I could get Kip fed, to the end where I had so many people help me quickly clean up, it was just hygge, and I loved it! Whoever said hygge was just for the cold winter months didn't know at all what hygge really is about. It is about togetherness and comraderie, being content to just sit and visit about books or life, while eating good food, laughing, cooking and cleaning together. I find the moments I like best in life are the hyggelig ones. I hope to make many more of them.

I guess you could say that right now is just such a moment. Being so content and happy with the present, taking time to stop and enjoy the little things. The birds, the wind, the color of the sky. Kip is awake now, though. I had to rush in when I heard him. He hasn't been sleeping well in his bed. I'm really not sure what to do. I have never had a baby do this before. He will be so tired. He will want to sleep, indeed, he will fall asleep in my arms. And yet, the moment I move to put him in his crib he jerks awake, screaming. I have tried everything I can think of to help with that. I have slept with his blanket so it smells like me. I have tried a noise machine with the sound of a heartbeat, ocean waves, a thunder storm, a little brook, and even white noise. I have tried placing him on his stomach. I have tried placing him on his back. I have tried leaning clear over into the crib as I lay him down so he only leaves my embrace when he is practically all the way laying down anyway. I can't figure it out!! What is going on with this little boy, and why won't he sleep in his own bed? I finally gave up today. I put him down for a nap in my bed. I have never done that before and it makes me incredibly nervous. I mean, the kid is nearly walking! I don't want him to fall off the bed. Luckily, I have lots of big pillows that I was able to position around him to hopefully impede his sudden descent. It worked, but he still didn't sleep for long. I'd say maybe half an hour? I don't know. Is this something you take a baby to the doctor for? Can the doctor really do anything? I'm in uncharted territory here. Meanwhile, I have given up on sleep. I have an app that tracks my sleep and I get roughly 3-4 hours of sleep a night. This has been going on for about 2 months. I sort of feel like a zombie, and frankly am impressed with how well I hold it together with such little amounts of sleep! Anyway, hopefully it will be figured out soon.

In other news, about 2 months ago Keith got a special award at school for "Good Ideas". His good idea was mostly just about his writing. I mean, his teacher nominated him because that kid has talent oozing from every pore and crevice on his body. Can he ever write! He is a true wordsmith and I wish I had half his talent! Today, he received yet another award! He got the "Best of The Best" award. It was for being such a stellar example of good scholarly habits throughout the year. Faye was a little jealous, but she just doesn't apply herself like she should!

Tomorrow is Field Day, and then Friday is the last day of school. The kids are super excited. Me, not so much. There seems to be so much fighting during the summer, and I just don't feel organized for it yet ...

...Time passes as I try to remember to post pictures and just don't hit publish ...

Ahem. So last Friday was the last day of school. The kids are overjoyed to be home. Jeffrey has been home every day so far because of memorial day, so it hasn't been too bad. Tomorrow will be the test!

On a happy note, Kip slept 12 hours last night , and I slept 10! I haven't had a full nights sleep in about 8 months now so this was momentous! I'm praying for a repeat of last night now. Tomorrow the real summertime battles begin!


Popular posts from this blog

Heavenly Presents

May I Take Your Order, Please?

Vegetarians at the Barbecue