Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Night Stalking

We have been having troubles with our internet.  Which sort of makes sense, because we bought our router quite a few years ago, and it was second hand at that.  Who knows how old it actually was.  Happily, it is all worked out now.

This past weekend was lovely.  Sunday was our 7 year anniversary, so Jeffrey and I went out on Saturday night.  We weren't able to go until around 9, though, so we hit a local burger joint and then the grocery store. Very romantic, I know.  My mother was an angel and came to watch the kids while we were out.  She hadn't been to our new house yet, so it was a perfect excuse for her to come by.  We got home shortly after 10, and watched Flight of the Conchords in bed.  I fell asleep before it was over.

Beth had been having a few yucky nights, you see.  Friday night she woke up every two hours, so I was very tired all Saturday.  Saturday she didn't eat much, but she absolutely didn't sleep much.  Saturday night she woke up at 2, and refused to go back to sleep.  Since I hadn't fallen asleep until near 1, I was absolutely exhausted.
I remember holding her close, just rocking her on the edge of my bed, her warm body relaxed against my chest, hearing her slurping on her fist, and thinking how lucky I am to have such a darling little girl.  She is so sweet tempered and loving.  I rocked her back and forth and loved her, but silently prayed that she could go to sleep so I could, too.  Around 6:30, I was near tears I was so tired.  That is when Jeffrey woke up, looked at my zombie visage, and took Beth from me and left the room.  I fell back onto the bed absolutely beat.  We had already talked the day before about me staying home from church with her because she is congested and has a cough and we don't want it to develop into anything worse.  I slept until 9:30 when the smell of bacon and two pairs of little feet ran down the hall, threw open my door and announced grandly that breakfast was ready.

Bless that man!  Best anniversary gift ever!

I got up, still tired but feeling so much better than I had in a few days, I joined the family in the kitchen and we had breakfast.  Well, I had bacon.  I can't eat eggs right now.  Beth wont let me.  She screams and refuses to eat if I eat eggs.  Same for ice cream, anything spicy (which I love!), and apparently anything at all with caffeine in it.  Eating is becoming a real chore lately.  So I ate bacon while they had eggs and Jeffrey's specialty pancakes (he learned to make it on his mission.  Whole wheat flour, oil, water.  Sometimes salt.) which I don't like to eat because I feel like I am chewing rubber.  But Jeffrey and the kids love them.  After breakfast I got the kids ready for church and sent them all off.  I was sad that I couldn't join them, but I won't risk Beth's health.

It was a nice relaxing day aside from the baby refusing to eat because I may have sneaked a bite of eggs.  Or two.  And the ice cream I had the night before for my anniversary.  In my defense, I didn't know about the ice cream until Sunday.  And she refused to nap most of the day.  Her first nap of the day was 5 pm.  It was glorious to finally have arms again!

Last night, I was looking forward to a good night's rest.  The kids and I were reading Harry Potter (book 4) and they didn't want me to stop.  When I finally insisted it was 9:30.  Oops!  Happily, Keith has developed a great love for books like I have.  I got the kids to bed and then put myself to bed.

Around 12:30 Beth woke up to eat.  As I was about to pick her up, I heard the sound of bare feet slapping on the wood floor in the hallway.  Running.  First down, and then back up.  Little feet.  I opened the door, and the hall was empty.  Jeffrey had awakened, so I sent him down to check on Keith while I went in to check on Faye.  She was half lying in her bed, sitting indian style.  I bent over her, and she popped up like a Jack in the Box.  I asked her if she had been running down the hall, and she said yes.  I asked her why and she mumbled something.  I asked her again, and she became even more incoherent.  She was asleep.  I surmised she had been asleep the whole time.  Sleep walking running down the hall, sleep talking, the whole bit.  It made me laugh.  And then I remembered the story of my little sister trying to leave the house in one of her sleep walking escapades and I decided we need to get a high up lock for all of our outside doors!  It was a funny story about my sister until I had a child of my own doing the same thing, and then that is just scary now!  Funny, but scary.

Beth, as per the past week or so, has been waking up every 3 hours in the night.  It is the sleep schedule of having a newborn again.  Sigh.  I think I need to be more diligent about giving her solid foods in the hopes that she will sleep longer at night.

In the meantime, I am exhausted by the kids bedtime.  I have my fingers crossed for tonight.  No more night stalkers and no more newborn schedule baby.  That is my goal for this week.


Chantel said...

Mine slept through the night for one glorious week before he decided he was over it. I miss sleep as well.

Susan Anderson said...

I can't even imagine. I couldn't survive on that little bit of sleep that you are getting.

I think I'm glad I raised my kids back in the day when we just let them cry if they woke up at night!