All Fired Up

This evening, Keith wanted to go for a bike ride.  I loved the idea.  The velvety night air was so inviting, and the sun was at the point, right before it sets, where the world shimmers with gold.  I love that moment.  It seems to me to be the time when faeries enter the gardens and magic abounds.

Keith was so cute on his little tricycle, huffing and puffing up the hills.  Faye stole an American flag from the wooden Uncle Sam cut out, and was proudly waving it while marching down the streets.  It made me laugh, to see the pair of them, so proudly and confidently owning the street.

Unfortunately, that was the moment my camera chose to die.

As I watched them, I couldn't help but ponder on the recent attacks of the US Embassy.  How lucky and blessed we are to live here, in this day and age.  Faye proudly waving her little American Flag, thrusting it into the air, using it as a baton to the little song she was singing made my heart swell.  My heart breaks for people who are not as fortunate.

Speaking of fortunate, yesterday we had an interesting experience.

I was making a delicious butternut squash lasagna.  I had just placed it in the oven and turned around to get some salad fixings when I heard a loud grinding sound, and then popping.  It scared the daylights out of me.  Seriously.  I screamed.  I turned around and saw sparks flying in the oven.  Then a fire.
Google image
After a few seconds it stopped and The oven turned off.  I grabbed Faye, shouted to my mother in law "You're oven is on fire!" and hurried Faye downstairs.  I didn't want her around the fumes.  Keith came running after us.  Somehow, the heating coil had decided to explode.  Since I couldn't cook the lasagna, we went out to eat yesterday.  Best failed dinner ever.  Cafe Rio was delicious.  Today the repair man came and said it would cost just as much to fix as it would be to buy a new one.

Thursday, a Convection oven will arrive, and I must bake cookies immediately.  To try it out, of course.  Make sure that it is safe, you know?


Emmy said…
Holy cow that would be scary! Glad the fire quickly went out. We have a convection oven but I have no idea how to use it, I need you to teach me :)
Lourie said…
Oooh! That is scary. Glad everyone is safe. And you are going to love the new oven.
Chantel said…
We had the exact same thing happen in our Quincy house. We tried to have it repaired but it never worked the same so we ended up with a new one anyway. Our new house has a convection oven. I haven't used it much but Brian loves it.
Susan Anderson said…
Sounds like there was no damage to the kitchen other than the oven? That's good, at least.

I have a convection option on my oven, but I've never used it.

Trish said…
Fire, AHHH!!! That happened once when our family lived in Daren's house (after our house burned down). I think it was on Christmas morning too!! Crazy old ovens! Maybe it will happen to me sometime after I move into our "new" old house next week!
Lisa said…
What a beautiful evening!!! Glad you enjoyed the bike riding! :)
Meh, I've set several ovens on fire :p (Sadly I'm not kidding)!!! I hope the new one is working great. Can I have cookie?

Popular posts from this blog

Heavenly Presents

May I Take Your Order, Please?

Vegetarians at the Barbecue