Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Under the Knife

It looks like I am back.

Jeffrey rescheduled his exam for another day.  I forget which.

Monday is his last day of work so he will have at least a week with no distractions and lots of studying. 

Once his test is through he will either start job hunting, or focus on passing the Java certification which will help him get a better job.  I gotta say, I am so glad that weight isn't on my shoulders! 

Tomorrow is a busy day.  Faye is going in for "surgery" as they call it.  Really, though it is just a procedure.  There will be no knife.  No cutting.  But we have to be there at 6:30 am.  And the typical surgery rules apply.  No food or drink after midnight.  Sigh.  Hungry babies are never fun to deal with.

She is going in because she has a nasolacrimal duct obstruction.  Which basically means there is something blocking her tear duct so she has a constant tear on her cheeks.  They are going to stick a probe up her nose, and one down her tear duct area, and try to get the obstruction out of the way.  But there is only a 60% chance it will work.  If she still has leaky eyes in a month, she really will have to go under the knife so they can put tubes down in her ducts to help with the drainage.  My poor baby.

I have been dealing with insurance companies and the surgery center and the doctor office all day long.  It is such a headache.  Evidently, I have the wrong plan with my insurance, even though I requested the right one.  I have been trying to get it changed since Monday, but the circles I was going in were making me dizzy.  All day on the phone Monday, her pre-op appointment yesterday, all day on the phone today, makes for a very stressed mommy! 

I was told by the nurse they couldn't do the procedure because I had the wrong plan, and then I called them to sort it out.  I got the lady's name and direct line and gave it to the nurse who was helping me.  I then got a call back from the insurance lady saying that it was okay, they could go ahead and do it because the doctor's office was going to just bill the other plan, even though it isn't their usual one.  And then I got a call from the surgical center saying that even though the doctor's office was going to bill the other plan, would I be prepared to pay $900 for the use of the facility if the insurance company refused to pay it?

At that point, I was ready to cry.  I was tired of being pulled every which way.  I was tired of jumping through flaming hoops trying to get my baby's eyes taken care of.  I didn't want to post pone because the opthamologist had said the longer you wait, the less likely it is the simple probe would work, and most  babies with that problem are taken care of before they reach 13 months.  After 13 months it is a lot harder to fix. 

Faye is about 17 months. 

Finally, I got a call from the surgical center saying they had talked to the director of the center, and had decided to go ahead and bill the other insurance plan.  If they were denied, then they would just comp it, because that was the right thing to do.

As the nurse told me this, tears jumped to my eyes, and a lump caught in my throat.  After so much stress, the kindness that was being shown to me and my family was nearly too much.  A huge weight had been lifted, and I am now not as scared to let my baby go under.  I know we are being watched over, and watched out for.  Everything will be fine. 

I was warned that she will be very grumpy tomorrow, so in preparation, I made dinner for four days yesterday.  I am planning to devote the majority of my time to cuddling her and loving on her for the next few days.  Right now, I am so grateful for modern medicine.  And blessings.  Big huge blessings. 
Post a Comment